Rate it: 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Excellent! Loved it!: 0 Votes (0.00%)
Above average.: 0 Votes (0.00%)
Average.: 1 Votes (100.00%)
Nothing special.: 0 Votes (0.00%)
Aweful! Hated it!: 0 Votes (0.00%)
1 user and no guests have voted.
To: ALL2 of 2
Well I've seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, and it wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, but I've seen a lot worse.

Some would classify this movie as a scifi, but I'm more inclined to call it a suspense or thriller. Yes. In the end, it turned out to be aliens, but the bulk of the movie you didn't really know what had happened.

The set was well constructed, and you could actually see people having to live in such surroundings if they needed. I do wonder if the clutter was in part due to leaving a room open for the Michelle character, but otherwise I'd say it was thought out. Makeup and wardrobe were well done as well.

There also weren't a lot of special effects throughout the movie to distract from the storytelling itself. I hate when special effects overshadow everything else and you lose things in the movie. Sometimes those things you might miss because something went bang at an odd moment are more important then people realize.

Now on to the actors.

As usual, John Goodman surpassed my expectations, despite playing a character I felt was beneath his talents. He was believable in his efforts to show Howard as an unstable entity, who later turned out be even more whacked than I had thought. It's strange to me to see this man, who I grew up watching as Dan Connor, playing someone so unhinged and disturbed. He was always the Dad all the kids I knew wanted as their Dad, including me. The fact he could play characters such as Dan Connor and Howard, characters so far to either end of the spectrum, surely speaks to his abilities as an actor. In my opinion, he made this movie in more ways than one.

As for Michelle, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Emmett, John Gallagher Jr., I'm not impressed.

The character Michelle was a whiner in need of a nice crack upside the head for much of the beginning, and I found Emmett to be a waste of space. You couldn't kill this guy off fast enough for me. Her I could at least tolerate to some degree, but I can't say the same for him.

Michelle's one redeeming characteristic for me became her survival instinct. Even when there seemed to be no hope, she was ready to go for it and fight. I like people with grit. I do think MEW needs more seasoning, but I can see her shaping up nicely in the future.

As for JG, please go back to school or get some pointers from John, or someone equally talented. You're a friggin mess Dude!

IMDB: 10 Cloverfield Lane

Watch 10 Cloverfield Lane